The village of Mesilla, now called Old Mesilla, stands just to the South of Downtown Las Cruces, NM. This Wild Western town dates back to the early 1800’s. Fort Fillmore was located here in 1851. The village of Mesilla was a well-known supply center for garrisoned troops, and it earned quite a reputation for providing entertainment, food, hay and building materials to the area.
Mesilla became part of the United States through the Gadsden Purchase from Mexico in 1854. During the Civil War, the flourishing community of Mesilla was known as being a commercial and transportation center. Mesilla aided in outfitting the profitable mining and ranching industries in the early days of the region. A great number of passengers passed through this important transportation link during their dangerous travels to points west.
In the 21st Century, local residents still celebrate their colorful past. We are proud of our heritage and our part in today’s continuing area transportation industry.